Coronavirus antibody test
This test checks for the presence of IgG antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 virus spike protein — which can be detected by taking a blood test at least 21 days after your symptoms started. It won’t tell you if you currently have an active COVID-19 infection, only if you've already been exposed.
Please note that this test is unable to assess for immunity or the presence of antibodies after COVID-19 vaccination.
What is the coronavirus antibody test procedure?
This test’s full name is the “serological enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay,” or ELISA for short. The test used is the international gold standard test method for the detection of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2.
What does the fee cover:
- Initial eligibility screening
- 1x COVID-19 antibody test
- Results reporting and follow-up advice
- Pre and post-test virtual consultation*
What does the fee not cover:
- Treatment or treatment costs related to diagnosis.
- Any other laboratory fees other than for the COVID-19 antibody test.
- Only the first consultation in relation to the test conducted is included in the service. If there is any ongoing care needed, you are advised to seek in-person help at your nearest appropriate healthcare service provider.
- This service does not replace in-person or emergency care.
Who Should Get Tested:
- If you had symptoms of COVID-19 in the past but weren’t tested
- If your doctor thinks you may have the novel coronavirus and started symptoms -more than 7 days ago
- If you have been in close contact with an individual suspected of or confirmed to have COVID-19 and you want to have a quick test done to check your status; or
- If you have recovered from COVID-19 and want to check your possible immune response
Who shouldn’t do this test?
Don’t do this test if you currently have symptoms of COVID-19 — this test won’t tell you if you currently have the virus. If you have symptoms please click here to use our COVID-19 testing and virtual consultation service.
In rare cases, you might have been infected but not have developed antibodies. This can happen if you have a disease that affects your immune function or if you take immunosuppressants.
This test isn’t available to anyone under 18 years of age.
Finger prick , blood
Average turnaround time:
1-3 working days
Find out more about Covid/Long Covid
* Digital consultation will be offered based on the results of the eligibility screen as well as test results