Coronavirus antigen test
Antigen tests, like the name suggests, test for antigens (viral fragments). A COVID-19 antigen test looks for fragments of the COVID-19 virus within a person’s body to detect the presence of the virus.
That basically means, the point of an antigen test is to detect the presence of a protein—the nucleocapsid protein—which is part of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that is the cause of COVID-19.
What is the Coronavirus antigen test procedure?
A COVID-19 antigen test is similar to a PCR COVID-19 test. A swab sample from your nose or mouth will be taken. The sample is then process and placed on a test cartridge. The cartridge make use of lateral flow technology, which enable fast results to be ready.
What does the fee cover:
- Initial eligibility screening
- 1x COVID-19 antigen test
- Results reporting and follow-up advice
- Pre and post-test virtual consultation*
What does the fee not cover:
- Treatment or treatment costs related to diagnosis.
- Any other laboratory fees other than for the COVID-19 antigen test.
- Only the first consultation in relation to the test conducted is included in the service. If there is any ongoing care needed, you are advised to seek in-person help at your nearest appropriate healthcare service provider.
- This service does not replace in-person or emergency care.
Who should Get Tested:
-You have recently started symptoms of COVID-19
- Your doctor thinks you may have the novel coronavirus and have recently started having symptoms (past 1-3 days)
- You have been in close contact with an individual suspected of or confirmed to have COVID-19 more than 5-7 days ago, and you want to have a quick test done to check your status
How can the coronavirus antigen test help you?
- To find out if you currently have active COVID-19 infection
- If you need to have a very quick test to determine your COVID-19 status
- For travel to some countries
Swab (oral or nasopharyngeal)
Average turnaround time:
1-5 working days (this depends on national testing volumes and possible backlogs)
* Digital consultation will be offered based on the results of the eligibility screen as well as test results